Sandwiches are absolutely incredible. Think about it for a second. It’s an entire meal and all the food groups in a portable, edible vehicle. You have vegetables, meat, cheese, grains, and more. And it’s infinitely adaptable, too. There are burgers, subs, clubs, grilled cheese, and the list never ends.
Sometimes, though, things get in the way of our sandwich glory. Here are 32 sandwich hacks for a better sandwich-eating experience. Now go make a sandwich because you’ve earned it.
Don’t want your sandwich to be prematurely soggy? Just throw your favorite condiment into one of these and add it right before you eat it.
Co-written by Rozin Abbas.
2. Making BLTs? Toast your bread to perfection with this method:
via Rant Lifestyle
3. Use a pizza cutter for crusts
A pizza cutter easily cuts through crusts, giving you a perfectly crustless sandwich.
via flickr / robennals
4. Swap sandwich bread with waffles for a delicious breakfast sandwich
via A Few Short Cuts
5. Unsog your sandwich
Stop your sandwich from getting soggy by resting your tomato slices on a paper towel while getting the rest of your sandwich ready.
via Rustic Plate
6. Use an anti-theft lunch bag
Hate when people steal your delicious masterpiece? Put it in this bag.
via Perpetual Kid
7. Forget store-bought mayo! Learn to make your own:
You’ll never go back to the squeeze bottle again. Bonus: you can use mayonnaise in place of butter for delicious grilled cheese sandwiches.
via Canadian Living
8. Ditch the pan and make grilled cheese in the oven
Preheat your oven with two baking sheets inside so they get hot, then put your sandwiches in between the sheets. Plus, you can feed an army this way!
9. Learn to stack your sandwich
Don’t stack your sandwich in a way that makes everything slip out. That just sucks. Instead, stack it like this: Cheese and meats touching the bread (because they grip it), then put slippery ingredients (lettuce, particularly) on the inside.
via flickr / matthew.bret.sims
10. Weave your bacon for a way tastier BLT sandwich-eating experience
11. Make a big batch of sandwiches in advance and freeze them
Take them out of the freezer in the morning, and by lunch they’ll be thawed out. Perfect for those mornings when you’re in a rush!
via Money Saving Mom
12. Use a pastry blender to make egg salad
via $5 Dinners
According to Food52, you’re going to want to grab a square of wax paper that is larger than your sandwich and twice as long as it is wide. Place the sandwich in the center and line the edges of the wax paper up to create a tent. Next, create a 3/4 inch fold and keep folding down until you reach the sandwich. Then, wrap like a present.
14. Make a Denver omelette in a mug
You can actually do this with anything you want, but all you have to do is spray the mug with cooking spray then add an egg, cheese, meat, vegetables, and anything else, then microwave for 1-2 minutes. Place between two slices of bread for an omelette-inspired sandwich.
via Food Network
15. Muffin tin breakfast sandwiches
Take the same ingredients above, but instead of putting them in a mug, put them inside a muffin tin. Bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes (check every minute after 15) and you have breakfast sandwiches every day. Freeze the leftovers and microwave for 1:30 for a quick morning breakfast.
via imgur | reddit/u/reddituser97531
16. PBJ 2.0
Strawberry jam, honey, marshmallow fluff, two kinds of peanut butter, and Nutella. For those who don’t like math, that’s NINE different flavor combinations.
via imgur / UnRelevantname
17. Make grinders using your slow cooker
Slice a bread loaf 4/5 the way through, add your meat and other fillings, and seal between two layers of aluminum foil. Place a pan at the bottom of the slow cooker so the sandwiches don’t touch the bottom. Add a 1/4 cup of water and set on low for four hours. More directions available here.
via Big Red Kitchen
18. New sandwich idea: Garlic bread and spaghetti sandwich
Get your sandwich irons out!
via imgur | reddit/u/icametodropbombs
19. Try unused canning rings to make perfect egg rounds for biscuit sandwiches
20. Wraps are sandwiches, too. Here’s how to roll them properly:
via The Yummy Life
21. Use mayo instead of butter for grilled cheese
Want a small variation that actually adds a whole new dimension to grilled cheese? Spread on mayo instead of butter. You’ll get a perfectly golden crust that has a slight tang.
via The Kitchn
22. Cut your baguette 3/4 of the way
Most people cut through their baguette all the way, but really, it’s a bad idea. By only cutting it 3/4 of the way through, you don’t allow the ingredients to fall out. Enjoy.
via flickr / hawkkrall
23. THIS is how you arrange your bologna:
24. Flip your bread upside down so it retains its shape while cutting
25. Warm tortillas for easy wrapping
Just 10 seconds in the microwave or 10 seconds per side in a pan, and you’ll have pliable tortillas that hold together incredibly well.
26. Make the cheesiest grilled cheese sandwich ever by sprinkling cheese on the outer bread before grilling
28. Use your sandwich press to make folded eggs for a delicious breakfast sandwich
via Hack The Food / Food Network
29. Rather than spreading your condiments directly on your bread, put them between the meat in the sandwich
That way, your bread won’t get soggy.